Just wanted to point out the both SMB and NFS are built into OSX so you pretty much just have to set it up. SMB is little more than turning on a checkbox is the sharing preferences while NFS is, well, NFS which is just as easy/hard on OSX as on a linux box. Nice thing with SMB is that will work for Windows users as well.

CB