Hi,

In Apple Mail, with the Preview pane disabled, press return on the thread or
conversation, this will open all messages in that conversation bringing focus
to either the newest or oldest depending on how your Conversation preferences
are set.  If you stop interacting with the current message then VO-right, VO
will begin reading the next message in the thread/conversation.  VO-left goes
back similarly.  I don't use the Trackpad commander very much so am not
familiar with the gestures you could use, but, from what I recall, this process
should be totally doable using Trackpad gestures given you follow the same
initial steps.

Later...