Right, VMWare smartly only allocates actual used disk space. That said, if you suddenly add a GB of content to your virtual windows machine VMWare is going to have to increase the disk spaced used by the virtual drive file by 1GB. That allocation process is usually one-way. If you delete your 1GB of stuff the virtual drive doesn't shrink back down (unless you run some special process). It's a lot faster to save a new file in the virtual machine using already available space than to do that with VMWare allocating more virtual disk space. So that's why I was thinking it might have been initially slower while VMWare kept having to allocate more space. After a while vmware should have enough space allocated for day to day use and that overhead won't be slowing things down. Also, I wonder if Windows doesn't do some kind of drive indexing when it's first set up (like OSX).

CB