Hello,
If you are booting with file vault the answer is no. Because VO cannot talk at
that low level. When you boot, Several seconds after the startup chime, press
Command F5 and you will hear a beep. Type in your account name. Note, nothing
will speak. Press enter and you will hear 2 beeps. Now type in your password.
The same thing, nothing will talk. Press enter and you will hear 3 beeps. This
means that you are now booting. Depending on how you have your system set, VO
will probably start talking once the system is booted.