Hi there
I have found that if you ever lose your place in Mail when not in classic view,
if you press command 1 it will take you to your inbox. I have found this gets
you back, even if you want to go to another mailbox. If you are back to the
inbox and you want to go to another box, you can press shift tab from the inbox
to get to your mailbox list and start going down arrow. As for going to the top
of messages, on my MacBook Pro I can press vo function key, shift left arrow.
That sounds like a lot of keys, but except for the left arrow, they are
together. I have my function keys changed from the default so they work as
standard function keys. I hope all this helps.

Gigi