It uses the iCloud storage every Apple ID receives, sharing that with iCloud
Mail, iOS backups, and anything else.

The way iCloud used to work was as a syncing service, letting, say, Text Edit
access any documents stored in iCloud by Text Edit, or Pages get to any files
stored by Pages. The problem was that any modifications would leave you with
two copies of the file. Plus, no app could see the files stored by any other
app, and no custom folders were allowed at all. Now, with iCloud Drive, you can
set up your own folders, and any edits made to a file are to *that file*, not
to a copy of that file made by the app doing the editing.
> On Oct 25, 2014, at 9:17 AM, Pamela Francis <gypsykitt...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi folks,
> Please pardon my ignorance. What is the difference between iCloud drive and
> iCloud the way it was? Does one have to pay in order to have file stored
> there or does one still get the five gigs one got with iCloud? Thanks much
>
> Pam Francis
>
> On Oct 25, 2014, at 8:01 AM, Deb Lewis <deblewi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It creates an ICloud drive folder under your user just like Dropbox does.
>
>> On Oct 25, 2014, at 4:57 AM, Jeff Berwick <mailingli...@berwick.name> wrote:
>>
>> Where do the files get stored on a Windows machine?  I have signed up, but
>> haven't transferred my files over from Dropbox yet, because I'm just not
>> sure I've located where they will be on my Windows machine.
>>
>> Thx,
>> Jeff
>>
>>> On Oct 24, 2014, at 11:08 PM, Deb Lewis <deblewi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I like it on the Mac and on the PC but I still think ICloud is weird
>>> on the phone. It's technically not as compartmentalized but it's still
>>> hard to get to different parts of it because you can't really browse
>>> there. I want an ICloud Drive app like the DB or One Drive apps I use
>>> now. So for me, it has just created more confusion.

Have a great day,
Alex Hall
mehg...@icloud.com