Kristeen,

As a long time gMail iMap user, I suggest that you try the following:

1.
Make sure the Yosemite Mail application is closed.

2.
>From your preferred web browser, go to mail.google.com.

3.
Once signed In, go to the Settings area and locate the tab area called Labels.
(It's been a while since last I did this so verbiage may vary).

4.
In this area, you will discover that you can turn on and off certain labels
such as the Trash, Archive, etc.

Make certain that you have the Inbox turned on and, for that matter, all of the
labels showing on your home screen.

This may not make any sense to you now but, once you enter your account and
begin exploring, it will.

Good Luck,

Mark