Hi,

This is not normal behaviour.  Normally, when you pull out the plug for
headphones or external speakers from the headphone jack on the side of your
Mac, it should be silent for a second or two then change sound over to the
built-in speakers.  the same will happen the other direction.  I tested this a
few times on my MBP Late 2011 and it worked as it should.  I guess it’s
possible that the Early 2011 model has a glitch but these two models are not
very different at all, so, I’m not convinced.  If your external speakers are
USB, then I’ve seen that sort of problem in that configuration, but not when
using the headphone jack.  Possibly try a permission repair and/or reset your
PRAM.

Later…

Tim Kilburn
Fort McMurray, AB Canada