From: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com [mailto:macvisionaries@googlegroups.com]
On Behalf Of Grant Hardy
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2014 12:22 AM
To: Mac Visionaries List
Subject: The latest version of Microsoft Outlook appears to be accessible

Hello all,

When Microsoft released a new version of Outlook for Mac last week I was as
curious as anyone else to know whether or not it would be fully usable by
VoiceOver users. Eventually, I just decided to install it and give it a go. I
am very happy to report that my first impressions have been very positive. I
will admit that Microsoft Outlook has crashed a few times and is sometimes
sluggish, but that is probably because for a first test I chose to open a huge
data set from Outlook for Windows.

I have by no means played with all or even most of Outlook for Mac’s features,
but I can confirm that the following is working just fine with VoiceOver:
• Editing a contact
• - Composing an Email (like this one) and moving through the text
• - Setting up an appointment in the calendar and finding it in the default
month calendar view
• - Navigating your folder list, and the list of messages
• - Expanding and collapsing folders, as well as messages in conversation view
• - Editing preferences and Email accounts
• - Using the search feature to search through messages and browsing the list
of results
• - Opening and reading plain text and HTML messages
• - Hearing formatting (for example, Outlook is generating a bulleted list for
me and VoiceOver is announcing that; voiceOver also correctly reports that
Microsoft Office’s default font of Calibri is in use)

There is much more to play with but I am very favourably impressed. Let us hope
that the rest of the forthcoming Office for Mac suite is as accessible as this.
And for everyone with an Office 365 subscription of some kind, you might want
to give this a try.

I will admit though that I’ve really grown to love the mail, contacts,
calendars, notes and reminders apps in OS X and will continue to use them, for
now, for my day to day activities.

Grant