Hi Chris,

You do not have to be jailbroken to be infected with malware using the Mask
Attack flaw. The malicious app is actually installed using iOS’ enterprise
provisioning features which would normally allow you to, say, install an app
from your company’s secure server, or else beta test an app. The issue seems to
be that iOS does not cryptographically verify an application to make sure it
has not been tampered with. So, for example, once the user gives the go-ahead
for one of these apps to be installed (e.g. they respond to a prompt promising
a new game), the Gmail app might be replaced with a malicious application that
gathers your personal data and sends it to a server, and iOS will allow the app
to run unimpeded.

There is certainly no need for us to panic as we can simply not install apps
from untrusted websites or messages, but the major security issue here seems to
be the lack of cryptographic verification that would prevent legitimate apps
already installed on the device from being tampered with.

That’s probably a pretty rough explanation of the flaw, but you can read more
about it here: http://www.thesafemac.com/major-ios-insecurity/
<http://www.thesafemac.com/major-ios-insecurity/>

Grant

Sent from mobile

On Nov 14, 2014, at 9:18 AM, 'Chris Blouch' via MacVisionaries
<macvisionaries@googlegroups.com <mailto:macvisionaries@googlegroups.com>>
wrote:

The attack assume jumping one fairly substantial hurdle and that is you must
jailbreak your phone to install apps that don't come from the Apple app store.
I don't know what percent of people actually do this but I suspect it's small,
which makes the attack surface small and the injury somewhat self-inflicted.
Part of the reason the Android ecosystem is so full of spyware and such is you
can install apps from anywhere you please without vetting by anybody. Sooner or
later something gets in that way. For me, while there are some interesting
non-approved iOS apps out there that even seem legit, who is to say that
somebody else didn't mess with it and add a payload of viruses? No thanks. I'll
stick to the legit store and avoid all that.

CB

--
¯\_(ツ)_/¯