Hi Yuma,

You wrote:

> Yes, Alex is the only audible voice provided by aple, and i have
> several infovox languages.
>
> If the local settings cna be changed on the fly, as well as the
> keyboard, then i am in business.
At the Multilingual Mac page, the last item in the article on language
changes in Snow Leopard states:

"Hitting Space while holding down Apple/Command will produce a list of
active keyboard layouts in the center of the screen, which can be
selected via the mouse or the up/down arrows.

10.6 has no new localizations for OS X or any new languages for
reading and input.

Also it appears that File > Get Info no longer has a Languages tab,
which makes it hard to run an app in a language other than that of the
OS. A workaround may be here."

The first item about using Command-Space to switch keyboards sounds as
though Snow Leopard has gone back to using this shortcut sequence to
default for input language switching instead of for Spotlight.  The
last item refers to the fact that in Leopard (and in Tiger), when you
select any app, and do a Get Info (Command-I), one of the fields tells
you about Language localizations, and if you uncheck all the language
options but one, you can force the application to open in that
language even if it is not your default language.  (By that I mean
that the window title bars, the menus on the application's menu bar,
the help, and spell checking will be in that language localization).

You can also make your Mac launch an application in another language
localization from terminal by typing the full path to the app within
its application bundle and setting a 2-character switch for the
language.  For example, typing a command like:
/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunes -AppleLanguages '(de)' &
where the two-letter language argument for "-AppleLanguages" is
enclosed in parentheses and also with single quotation marks, and will
force iTunes to launch in a German localization. (This was used to
check a bug in iTunes a few months ago where connecting an iPod Nano
4G did not let VoiceOver access the tabs for selecting music and
podcasts under German localization, but using English localization
worked.  The bug has since been fixed.)  Change the "d e" to "e n" for
English, or to "f r" for French.
Here's a Mac OS X HInts page on "Temporarily change system language
via AppleScript" that might give you some other ideas:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20061229203902170
For example, since the Mac has a language preference order, you could
switch preferences for an app in Terminal (has to be done with the app
closed or your command will be overwritten) with a command like this:
defaults write com.apple.mail AppleLanguages '("jp", "en-US")'
(note all single and double quotation marks). This would tell the mail
app to open first in Japanese rather than (U.S.) English (and would
allow only the two localizations).  Reversing the order of the
arguments would make the mail app open in English first.  (There seem
to be other two-letter abbreviations for Japanese floating around
depending on the keyboard input type, like "ja" so do some exploring.)
Or, you could just launch your app on the command line with the
language options as before, for example to open TextEdit with Japanese
localization:
/Applications/TextEdit/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit -AppleLanguages '(ja)' &
(Warning, you may get errors if you try to spawn multiple processes --
if you already have a TextEdit session running.  The ampersand at the
end spawns the process as a background task.)
The workaround mentioned on the Multilingual Mac page was a link to a
free software program called "Language Switcher".  I tried it a few
months ago under Leopard, and it seemed slightly unstable and still a
work in progress. The GUI isn't entirely accessible to VoiceOver but
you can use it by typing the name of the app you want into the search
field.  It seems to construct a list of applications by looking in
your Applications directory and listing every file there as an app,
which is a problem if you've ever stored a "README" description folder
for an application in the same directory. The first thing I would do,
if using this app, is go into the View menu on the status bar and
display a table of all the apps this program has found and (painfully)
uncheck nearly all of them except for the very few programs you might
want to run under a different language localization (like Mail,
TextEdit, etc.).  By default, the first of the checked apps
(alphabetically) is shown as the chosen app in the GUI, and the pop up
button will show you available language localizations which you can
choose.  The Language Switcher app is available at:
http://www.tj-hd.co.uk/en-gb/languageswitcher/
I would personally use Terminal if you're comfortable with it.  The
only Japanese voice that I'm aware you can just get for the Mac is the
DTalker one; the CereProc voices seem to be in beta, and being
developed under custom contract for one of the Japanese
telecommunication firms. HTH
Cheers,
Esther