Hi Lisette, when I've seen this, it's been because VoiceOver is using your
on-board sound, but the default sound output device has been set to something
else, maybe an airplay device. It would be worth going into Sound preferences
and verifying what your output is set to.
Jonathan Mosen
Mosen Consulting
Blindness technology eBooks, tutorials and training
http://Mosen.org