I  have not yet investigated bookmarks and notes yet but for me if I want to
navigate by page I do the following.
1. Press command 1 to go into single page mode.
2. Press the down arrow to navigate one page down or up arrow to navigate one
page up.
3. Pressing command 2 view will navigate you by 2 page segments.
4. These cursor keys will also read the pages.
5. Occasionally this navigation will not work, especially if I have used the
table of contents to jump to an area. however vo cursoring around a couple of
time will reactivate the ability to move up and down pages by simply using the
arrow keys.   I can confirm that I too cannot get the navigate by chapter
commands to work.

The only way of navigating I can find by chapter is to use the table of
contents.

David Griffith