Hello Christina,

On Oct 14, 2009, at 11:22 PM, Christina wrote:
> Vuscan is used more for the
> actual task of scanning, sort of like the driver/software that comes
> with the scanner ; while read iris is a better or more robust OCR
> software?  So, the two are used together.
That's exactly right. VueScan produces beautiful clear images which
Readiris can then process. I always set VueScan to produce TIFF files
since these are rarely used for photos, and then I set all TIFF files
to open with Readiris by default. This is necessary if you want
VueScan to hand over to Readiris without a hitch.

> Is Read Iris the only OCR
> software that works with the mac and is also VO compatible as well as
> accessible to the blind and visually impaired?
For the time being, this would appear to be the case. We used to have
Omnipage Pro, but it hasn't been supported for around 8 years.

> We had one of those all in one printers and sold it because we could
> not get the scanner portion of it to work with the mac.  It was a
> cannon.
I have a Canon Pixma PM170 all-in-one printer/scanner/copier which
works beautifully with my Mac. In fact, it's worked with all the Macs
I've had for the past 3 years.

Cheers,

Anne