Hi Andrew,

I too have had this issue with a message saying something to the effect of the
file X cannot be copied because it is in use by another program.

I did some googling on this and found that the Preview process was interfering
with the copying of the file across the network. You can kill the process in
Activity Monitor, or preview a separate file and copy the ones you want.

Yesterday, I tried copying from a video camera to my NAS and had the same
problem. This time, preview wasn’t the issue. Another way around this is to
relaunch Finder by either closing and reopening the Finder windows you were
working in or forcing Finder to quit. It will launch automatically.

Hope this works for you,
Kevin