Hello everyone,

These are just some general thoughts about my limited experience with using
DevonThink.
Installing the program is typical of most Apple-developed software, so no
explanation is necessary.
Frankly, I am quite impressed with the accessibility of the software. I have
been able to create groups, modify tags for various items, and import or index
files with ease.
A caveat is that in some instances of opening PDF files within the program, the
content appears as “static text,” which is easily overcome by pressing
“CMD-shift-o,” rather than, “CMD-O.)
Furthermore, I have been able to import documents from EverNote. I have many
articles saved, so to access these from within one general location with ease
is definitely a great advantage. Moreover, if additional articles are saved to
a particular notebook, upon import, only those articles that were recently
added will be indexed. Side note: EverNote needs to be installed for this to
work successfully.

Another great feature, which makes DevonThink an excellent tool for those in
academia or in other research-heavy professions is that preforming a “keyword”
search of your entire database is possible.
For instance, if I have an idea of a particular article or document I want to
read or share, but I am unsure of the tile, but I can recall a few “keywords,”
then invoking the search function with “CMD-shift-F” will place voiceover into
an edit field where I may type the select words for the search. By pressing
“enter,” the search will commence, and in a layout table (accessible with VO-T)
the most recent document will appear with a percentage value corresponding to
the accuracy of the content relevant to the search.

Finally, accessing the options within the source table, is possible, but one
needs to preform a mouse-click on the highlighted feature he or she wants to
view. For example, if I only want to view the “recently added” content, I
interact with the source table, VO-down arrow until I come to this option, and
preform a mouse-click, and interact with the layout table, which will display
the “recently added” items.

In my opinion, DevonThink is the “iTunes” of file management. I am excited to
have this program available to me during my second round of grad school.