Okay, this does work. Because it says "open file" when you do cmd-o, I didn't
realize this would work for folders.

Open vlc.
Do cmd-o.
You will be in a dialog where you have to choose a folder. Choose the folder
that would either be the one you want or would have that folder under it from
the pop-up. Then interact with the browser or list view or whatever you have
set in finder, and find the folder you want. Stop interacting and
vo-right-arrow to "open". This should indeed play everything in the folder and
its subfolders. Much easier than using terminal.

If vlc is crashing, I would say maybe you have other files mixed in with your
music files. I don't really know if that would cause the crashing or slowness
between songs but maybe it would. I run large folders with lots of subfolders
and songs, both from terminal and with a playlist and I don't have delays. I am
pretty sure the cmd-o method should work also.

--
Cheryl

I tried and tried to turn over a new leaf.
I got crumpled wads of tear-stained paper
thrown in the trash!
Then God gave me a new heart and life:
His joy for my despairing tears!
And now, every day: