Hi,

Enter credit card info when first setting it up then after everything is
confirmed and verified, through Apple’s process, go back in and change the
payment info to “None”.  After Family Sharing is configured  between your
account and your child’s, then all purchases will go through your payment
option.

Later...

Tim Kilburn
Fort McMurray, AB Canada