In that case, go into the folder that contained the file, and then enter TM.
Now go back to a day when the file existed and exit the controls and return to
the folder  by using the window chooser to select the folder
Now browse to the file you want to restore. If you don’t see it, then you
probably didn’t go back far enough, so make sure yu know when the file existed.
Now, bring up the context menu for the file with VO shift M and you’ll see an
option to restore the file. A dialog will come up asking where you want to
restore the file to.

I just figured this step out in the last few minutes by doing a little
experiment. I deleted a file in my Documents folder, and then went back to
yesterday in TM and came back to the documents folder and found the file, then
instead of going back into the controls window, I just looked in the context
menu and voila, the restore option was available from there. The biggest
discovery was finding the controls window in the window chooser. Before that I
couldn’t figure out how to go back in time either.
.