Depends on the settings. The audio quality will definetly be worse but for spoken material it may be acceptable. On MP3s there is sample rate and bit depth. Bit depth changes how much dynamic range or the range of loudness that can be recorded. CDs are 16-bit but you could drop an mp3 to 8-bit. The audiophiles would insist on 24-bit. The bit rate is how many of these 8, 16 or 24 bit samples are made each second. Generally more is better. CDs use 44k (thousand) samples per second but you can get away with a lot less for spoken word. Of course the audiophiles would want 192K sample rates but depending on your requirements 8K might suffice. Generally the highest frequency you can record is half your sample rate. With most people's hearing limited to 20KHz or less the 44K sample rate of CDs is plenty high to capture the highest frequency sound. Of course if you are recording dog whistles (23-54kHz) then you'll need a higher sample rate :) Generally mp3s, unless you are doing some kind of variable bit rate encoding, are the same data rate no matter what source material you are encoding. If you do a 16-bit recording at 22K samples per second then it's going to crank out 44K of data per second.

CB