Right. mp3 is already a compressed format which means most of the duplicate information has already been extracted out of the file. There won't be much, if anything, a generalized compressor can do. Only way to make mp3s smaller is to re-encode them with lower quality (a lossy compression).

I ran another test using zip -9 on my keynote app and it produced a 453,726,061 byte (453.7MB) file which is pretty much the same result as I got when choosing Compress from the file menu. So maybe Apple defaults to -9. With today's CPUs the compressions process is more likely IO bound rather than CPU bound, at least with spinning disks.

CB