Hello Daniel,

The way I use OSX Mail, which does have VoiceOver state how many messages are
in the thread, is to use the Standard layout, as opposed to the Classic layout.
 As I have never used the Classic layout, I don’t know if there is a way in
which to hear how many messages are in a thread.  Classic layout users will
have to chime in on that.

I am, without a doubt, the number one fan of the Standard layout, with the
Preview Pane enabled.

In my never-to-be humble opinion, I think that it is the single best feature in
OSX in terms of processing hundreds and hundreds of emails in a matter of mere
moments.

Just so you know, the Standard layout of the Mail app in OSX is the default
layout.  In my experience, I have found that over 95% of the Macs I come
across, owned by sighted users, adopt this configuration in the mail app.  The
advantage to me is that I, being intimately comfortable with this layout, have
absolutely no problem in supporting them or in quickly moving to a new Mac, if
only temporarily.

Using the Standard layout, from the View menu, select Organize by Conversation,
then select Collapse all Conversations.

That should get you started.

Good Luck and Enjoy,

Mark