You'll want to use Disk Utility which is found in the Utilities folder. You can get there quickly when in the Finder by doing command-option-U. Basically you'll have to navigate to your USB drive then navigate to the Erase tab where you'll find options for what format to use and the name to call it. On thing you'll need to decide is whether you want this to work only on Macs or be usable on Windows boxes as well. If it's just Mac then you can use the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format. If you want to use it on Windows you'll want to select ExFAT. Post back if you get stuck.

CB