I have used Facebook Chat through the Messages App since getting my Mac almost
a year ago, and I find it to be a very consistent experience. The only thing
that some users might find problematic is that there are no announcements about
which contacts are signing in and out. Of course, your buddy list will update
to reflect who is online. If memory serves, there are also no notifications
about when your buddy is typing, though I believe the typing status is
displayed at the bottom of the conversation window. Also, if you turn off
VoiceOver’s cursor tracking with VO+SHIFT+F3, you can keep VoiceOver’s focus in
the conversation window but have the keyboard focus in the compose box. This
may make it easier to keep up with a rapid conversation.

Another person on the list indicated this week that Facebook Chat via Jabber is
now deprecated. I have no knowledge of this, and it still seems to be working
perfectly, so I’m not sure what the situation might be. It looks like Jabber
support is here to stay.

In Windows, you can also use Skype. If you use JAWS, I think Freedom Scientific
is maintaining support for Skype so the chat experience should work fairly well.

Grant

On Jun 5, 2015, at 11:11 AM, christopher hallsworth <challswor...@icloud.com>