On web pages there are real menus created using the select element and options within that select. Some sites choose to fake this behavior with piles of spans, divs, css and javascript event handlers. There are lots of reasons they do this such as making a consistent look and feel between different platforms or funky hierarchical menus. Some developers create these themselves from scratch but most use various toolkits like jQueryUI or DOJO. Depending on what toolkit they pick the menus have widely varying degrees of accessibility. The "native" menus work just fine in Safari but depending on what site you are on the fake ones might have missed a keyboard event or left out some accessible rich internet application (ARIA) markup. I suspect most of the time the fake menus (and sliders, and modal dialogs and…) are not implemented correctly rather than it being a problem with voiceover.

CB