OK, this is just wickedly! strange!  I have an M-Audio Fasttrack C400 studio
grade audio interface which I use on my mac.  I also have a Blue Snowball
microphone.  Both of these are self powered passively, (meaning know electrical
outlet cord,) and only use USB.

Some of you may ask why I don't use my studio mike when doing Skype/voice chat,
etc. which I have ran directly into my C400.  We had this discussion before,
and I'm frankly not going to revisit it, as last time that I did, it caused a
crap load of you all to bash me left and right both on and off list.  honestly,
I'm not in the mood, and plus, that is irrellavent.  The point is, I use my
studio grade mike going into my C400 for professional recording in ProTools,
but all my simple voice chatting such as in Telephone, or Skype, etc. goes
through my Snowball.  Well, here's the issue right now which I'm having.  Now,
you all tell me if this isn't just totally weird!

On my C400 there is an output master volume control dial.  You cannot turn the
level up nor down with fn+F12, (I'm set to software keys, not hardware,) nor by
going into the output tab of system prefs/sound.  It's just how the interface
is designed.  You do everything hands-on with the unit itself.  that's actually
fine though.

The thing is, normally, I turn that master volume just a tad bit past half way.
 That's actually not that loud, as I have my actual monitors cranked way down,
don't worry.  Trust me, on that front, I know what I'm doing.  The problem
however is, as soon as I connect my Snowball mike via USB, then go into system
prefs and set it as the default input, kur? whamity! my output volume on the
C400 drops literally about half the volume it was before.  now how cockeyed is
that!?  The only thing I can do to rectify this is to unplug the Snowball, then
while making sure it's not plugged in, reboot my mac.  Once done, the volume
kicks back to life.  Anyone got any explaination for this, or know a way to fix
it?  This is driving me insane trying to figure this out!  I don't get it!

I'm on Yosemite 10.10.4, just FYI.  Not the public beta.  This is the official
10.10.4 release.

Chris.