Hello Graham,

Unfortunately, I have encountered this issue in the past, although not for
quite some time.

This seems to happen more to gMail accounts than to any other but I have herd
of it on other servers, as well.

Personally, when this happens to me, I open my trusty version of Outlook on my
Windows PC and then delete the stubborn messages as Outlook does not seem to
have this problem with any servers of which I am aware.

However, I realize that this is most likely not an option for you so I have two
suggestions:

Of course, I am assuming that you have rebooted your Mac and have attempted to
rebuild the Mailboxes.

1.
Make certain that you have a stable Wifi connection and that you give the Mail
application plenty of time to move all of the messages to the Trash folder
before closing it.

2.
Log into your actual server account, via your favorite web browser, and delete
the stubborn messages, manually.

Mark