I didn't notice a reply to this one. Not sure how you do it on the beta but for the current version of OSX the secret seems to be to use the Image Capture app in your Mac's Applications folder with your phone plugged in. In the app you should find a table which has your iphone selected. VO-down once and you'll land on a checkbox called Show Device Settings. If you VO-space on this it will seem like nothing happened but it secretly added a new section of controls. VO-up and it lands on some text that says "Connecting this iPhone opens" and if you VO-right there is a popup where you can select what it does such as Preview, iPhoto and, at the very top of the list, No Application. Pick that and it should stop launching any photo apps when you plug in your phone.

CB