Hmm. I do network time machine backups to another Mac which shares out a disk image on its external drive so I can control the amount of space time machine sucks up. So my time machine backup volume just pops up on my desktop while running and then goes away. The first time I back up to this remote volume time machine prompt me for the username and password, which is just the same credentials I use via command-K to mount the volume. Once mounted I can meander through the directory tree of time machine backups.

CB