Listers,

It's arrived: my new tiny, 14 cell refreshable Braille display produced by
HIMS.  Nervous as I was ordering it from Sight and Sound in the UK, I feel I'm
gonna love it!  it's small and the cells are nice.  I've already paired it with
my iphone.  And by the way, this Braille display can remember 5 different
bluetooth devices to which one connects.  It also has a USB connection.

I know it's going to be a steep learning curve and that I'm going to be asking
lots of questions but I've already managed to read using Smart Beetle from
Voice Dream Reader and ibooks.  The pleasure of reading quietly is intense!
I'm delighted.

At present it seems that I have to keep my iphone or ipad unlocked in order to
use my Smart Beetle. Is this the case in your experience too?  Also, Smart
Beetle can connect via bluetooth either as a Braille display or as a bluetooth
keyboard emulator and it can also work in combo mode, i.e. you can have it
connected as a Braille display and as a bluetooth keyboard for more
functionality.  I can navigate home screens using it, open and close
applications, read text, I've written a text message using it, I can use the
rotor.  However, when in Mail, I couldn't find a way of deleting an email I
didn't want to read and I was wondering whether there may be an equivalent of a
swiping gesture that Braille display could imitate.  I just wonder if you could
share what else you  can do with your refreshable Braille displays and iPhone?

Many thanks for any suggestions

Andrew