I did the update to 10.4.1 yesterday and Mail went constantly busy. Having had
to force quit it, I repaired disk permissions again (I always do that
immediately after an update), but no joy. I reinitialised the PRAM with no
success either. So finally I resorted to downloading the combo updater and that
fixed the problem.
I hate to think how an inexperienced Mac user would deal with this.

Cheers,

Anne