The shift key actually does work, it’s just that Keystroke (customizable by the
user preferences) expects you to use the correct shift (i.e. the left shift for
keys in the right hand and the right shift for keys in the left hand).

Press COMMAND + , (command comma) to bring up the user preferences, navigate to
the “Lesson” tab and uncheck “Require correct (left/right) shift keys” to
disable this feature.

I had at one point worked on an accessible MUD client, it worked alright but
didn’t use VoiceOver it just used a speech synthesizer. I abandoned the project
after a while though as life got in the way.