Answers below:

Tim Kilburn
Fort McMurray, AB Canada

On Sep 8, 2015, at 03:42, Chris Gilland <clgillan...@gmail.com> wrote:

guys, I have a couple of questions, and hope that you all can help me out a
little bit here.

I would not say that I am the newest in general at doing this sort of thing,
however, I am very new to doing this on the Apple side of things. So therefore,
please forgive me for these questions.

I am really starting to get into taking more family photos, as well as family
home videos with my iOS devices. I actually just set up a family album, and
even invited people to it. I am now sharing it with a few people. I thought
that that ability was absolutely awesome! The first thing that I am curious
about is regarding iCloud photo Sharing/streaming. yes, I do own an iPhone 6
Plus 128 gigs, so capacity is definitely by far and away not an issue. I have
also upgraded my iCloud storage to 200 gigs of storage. before you look at me
and say, Chris, my Lord! That is way! Overkill, not really. I do a lot of
things with iCloud drive. trust me when I say, that extra storage is rather
nice to have.

my first question is, if I delete photos or videos that I have taken off of my
iPhone, can I do so, yet keep them in my iCloud photo library? in other words,
let's say that I did not want to take up extra capacity on my phone with photos
I have taken. Can I simply delete them off of my iPhone, yet keep them in my
iCloud? if this is possible, can one of you please outline the steps that would
be necessary to make this happen?

TK:  Yes and no.  The "no" part first.  the iCloud Photo Library syncs your
iDevice photo library with the one stored in iCloud.  Therefore, everything on
your phone matches what's in the iCloud Photo Library.  You can set it to
"Optimize Storage" on the iPhone, which keeps lower quality versions on the
iPhone and the high quality version on in iCloud.  When the iPhone Photo
Library is optimized, this process is somewhat done automatically in the
background as space is needed on your iPhone.  The "yes" part of my answer
refers to turning off iCloud Photo Library but leaving PhotoStream on.  In this
scenario, all photos taken with your iPhone are automatically moved over to the
PhotoStream which can also be set to automatically move to Photos on your Mac.
You can then delete whatever you want from the iPhone, and it does not affect
the Photo Library on your Mac or in iCloud.

my second question is in regards to maiming photos. on iOS, yes, you can have
it automatically tag a geographic location to your photo/video, and can even
have it timestamp the video, or photo. this is great and all, except for one
major problem. before actually opening the photo to see it in the Full view of
the screen, I do not have enough vision to see the pictures in their little
thumbnail view. once I physically open them up by double tapping on them, I'm
fine. Then I can see them with no problem, but otherwise they're too small. my
point is, how do I know what photo is which without opening the photo first.
All I get is a timestamp, and possibly if I'm lucky, a geographic location. I
do not know of a way to rename a photo to actually have a descriptive name. For
example, I cannot make it say Chris sitting in a chair. I hear that it is
possible to add names to photos with Google photos, and that the iOS app is
quite accessible with voiceover. I wonder if it would be more beneficial for me
to use that instead of the built in features within iOS. What do you all think?

TK:  I've never actually tried to do this on an iDevice.  It can be done in
Photos though on your Mac.  Can't comment on Google Photos app as I have no
interest in it and thus haven't learned anything about it.

my next few questions are regarding certain applications. What is the main
advantage of using iPhoto, over just simply using the photos app both on iOS,
as well as on OS X? I have very briefly looked at the iPhoto app on OS X, and
it looks fairly doable. I haven't completely figured it out, but I think it
does have at least some potential. Can you all maybe give me some pointers to
help me get started?

TK:  After 10.10.2, iPhoto is no longer necessary on the Mac or your iDevice.
The Photos app has replaced it.  In fact, the Photos app is more responsive and
is the only app compatible with the iCloud Photo Library.

as I said, I will probably also be shooting some home videos going down the
road in the future. Would it be beneficial therefore for me to install a copy
of iMovie on all of my iOS devices, as well as on my mac?

TK:  Wouldn't hurt although I'm not totally familiar with the
accessibility/workability of the app.  Many of the elements are visible to VO,
but I don't believe that the editing features are particularly usable from a VO
prospective.  Remember that iMovie is primarily for editing and content
creation.  Viewing videos does not require iMovie at all.

finally, I am extremely interested in burning my home videos on to DVD. Is this
something that I could do on my mac accessibly with the use of iDVD? I know
that iDVD will do this in general, but I'm not sure to what extent this program
has of accessibility. if you won't know what something else it would be better,
and is freeware, I would be very open to hear what you have to suggest.

TK  As mentioned above, the elements within iDVD are, for the most part,
accessible.  But, actually creating the project and manipulating things may be
onerous.  That is, much of the actions within iMovie and iDVD require dragging
and dropping to specific areas and thus not so friendly from a VO prospective.
Now, honestly, I haven't really used these in a couple of years myself since I
don't need to teach that sort of material anymore.  So, it's entirely possible
that things are more VO usable now.  I just can't promise anything either way.

I think that that should do it for now. Let me know the answers to these
questions, and if I think of anymore, I will let you guys know.

TK:  Good luck.  HTH.

thanks.

Chris.

Sent from my iPhone