the destination does need to be formatted. best to use ext2 or ext3 (extended
journaled filesystems) or you can use the FS type HPFS (which is what OS X
uses). It is highly recommended that you use a drive that is at least 30%
larger than the drive you are backing up from. THis utility is already included
in the installed version of OS X. its a terminal (command line) utility.

to begin with, how large is your HD? Also, do you have an external drive that
is larger? These must be answered first. After that, it should be easy. btw, I
think dd is even included in the recovery partition as a terminal app.

-eric