You can also leave folders as they are, but press cmd-n before navigating to a
new one. This way you can, say, leave your external drive open in one window,
then move from your downloads folder to your documents folder in another,
copying files from both over to the external drive.

Have a great day,
Alex Hall
mehg...@icloud.com