This is a follow-up just in case anybody makes the same mistake I did of
assuming that just because iTunes shows you your books, removing iBooks worked.

Sadly, for whatever strange reason, removing iBooks in El Capitan also has the
side effect of preventing all iTunes Store operations.  You can’t sign in,
update your apps, or authorise your iDevices.  By removing iBooks, iTunes
becomes merely a music player, including audiobooks.

In summary, then, if you were avoiding iBooks because it’s crap, it is time.
Time to beat the festering pile into submission.  Make a backup of your
library, ensure you have a copy of your books in their original library, and
unleash iBooks.  It will destroy your book structure and metadata, but you’ll
be able to read and sync your books and, as of El Capitan, use the iBooks and
iTunes Store.

Thank you Apple, for giving us choice.  I’m speaking, of course, of the choice
between iBooks for Mac or Microsoft Windows.

You win.  I surrender.

I hope you won’t remember all your lives that you’re utter bastards. :)