Actually I am hitting vo+m twice I said control+m for some crazy reason.
Anyway, if I hit vo+m twice it no longer brings brings up the status menu.
Oddly when I hit it three times it still brings up the spotlight menu and when
I hit it once it bring up the system menu.  Hitting it twice I am still on the
system menu for some reason.