Hello Everyone,

As the following is extremely important to my enjoyment of iPhone and in so
much as I think it an important tool for many of us, I am going to post this
to both the Mac Visionaries and V iPhone mailing lists.

Please note that I can only verify the following on the A T & T Wireless
network.

Generally speaking, the default time it takes for an incoming call to be
sent to voicemail is approximately 20 seconds or, from the caller's point of
view, 4 rings.

For many years, it has been possible to increase the time it takes an
incoming call to be sent to voicemail to as much as 30 seconds.  You might
not think 10 seconds would make that much of a difference but, believe me,
it does.

Needless to say, I had my settings set to 30 seconds.  Although A T & T
Wireless customer service representatives would change this account setting,
upon request, it was actually possible, through a series of service dial
commands, to adjust the setting directly from iPhone.

Those of you who, like me, were using the increased value setting, noticed
that upon having your account provisioned for HD voicemail, a requirement in
order to take advantage of WiFi calling, lost the benefit of the increased
value.  That is to say, incoming calls, once again, were going to voicemail
after 20 seconds, instead of 30.  You may have also noticed that the service
dial commands, once used to manually adjust this setting, is no longer
valid.

Well, as it turns out, the delay value previously set, only applies to the
legacy voicemail system and not to the new HD voicemail system.

The good news is that you can call A T & T Wireless, 800-331-0500, and have
the customer service representatives adjust the incoming call setting but
you must be certain to tell the rep, as many of them are not yet aware, to
make the adjustment to the HD voicemail system and not the legacy system,
the system that first appears when an account is displayed.

Even better, the new system allows for even longer delay times than did the
legacy system.  I currently have my delay time set to 40 seconds.  It is
absolutely marvelous.

Some of you may be wondering why one would want to have such a high delay
time.  The answer is that it gives one, more time to reach the phone, should
she/he be in a different room than the phone or time to dry his/her hands
before touching the phone, etc.

One final thing, many representatives may not know that the new system delay
time can be adjusted; so if they do not know how to adjust the time,
graciously insist that it can be done and request that your call be
escalated to the next level of technical support.

I am happy to say that a couple of acquaintances, with whom I first shared
this information, have, like me, taken advantage of this new feature set
and, also like me, are happier than clams in clam sauce (smile).

Good Luck and Enjoy,

Mark

list.