Okay, here are the steps.

1. Go to http://www.vmware.com/vmwarestore/academicstore.html
2. Look for the heading which says "Store" and then "VMWare for you".
3.  Now look for "Upgrade Eligibility:".
4. Now you'll find the requirements and other information for
upgrading/purchasing.
5. If you read further you will find a button_getdiscount.gif button, and
btn_buy-upgrade.png,  and you'll want the former.
You should now be able to get on with the purchase. Now if memory serves me,
you will now want to tab if your using Safari because there is something odd
with this page and the first pop-up you'll find is set to student and the next
press of tab puts you in the edit field for the educational institution.
I hope this helps. and