I really believe that multicore performance is a good thing to have when doing
virtualisation.  No two ways around it: the latest Mac Mini is a downgrade from
its predecessor, because of the dual-core processors.  Sure, they’re newer
family chips, but they are still slower.  Worse yet, RAM is not upgradable, and
storage is not upgradable without substantial (and very careful) disassembly.
I have no doubt that Apple are, if not intentionally doing it, at least glad
that the Mini will no longer threaten their Mac Pros or iMacs, both of which
now present alternative options.  The Mac Mini is such an attractive machine,
and I too have been recently eyeing them up hungrily for their lovely SSD
performance and small form factor, but I just can’t bring myself to buy a
downgraded machine for any purpose other than the one for which my current
dual-core Mini is serving (a simple caching server).  Indeed, my previous 2010
Mini could be upgraded `if I chose: both RAM and SSD would bring it up to par
with the best Mac Mini, if you discount the slight clock speed boost (2.6 to
3.0), the change in processor family and the addition of an optical drive.  Of
course, as you said, you could also investigate quad-core options in laptops as
well, and get out of the dual-core league entirely.  But if you must buy a
Mini, get a maximally configured Mini, so as to save long-term on your
investment: 1 TB SSD, 16 GB RAM, 3.0 GHz I7 dual-core.  This configuration will
let you down a bit in the virtualisation department, but will make up for it in
general use.

list.