Does your USB sound also have component?  If so, what is the model.  I need to
replace mine.

-----Original Message-----
From: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com [mailto:macvisionaries@googlegroups.com]
On Behalf Of Simon Fogarty
Sent: Sunday, February 07, 2016 5:32 AM
To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Interesting reading for Mac and 5.1

There are alot of apple adaptors now that allow you to do all sorts of things I
have a thunderbolt to hdmi adaptor which gives surround sound.
I also have a USB sound card (External) that allows me to get 5.1 sound through
the usb on any computer plus it has optical out
So it can be done a number of ways.

Sent from my iPhone

> On 6/02/2016, at 5:54 AM, Scott Granados <sc...@qualityip.net> wrote:
>
> So talk about this a little more.  The bottom line is there’s difficulty
> getting 5.1 out of a Mac?
>
> I hadn’t thought about that.  I just have used the Apple TV and an optical
> out but never tried to do 5.1 right out of the Mac.
>
> Here’s another question, what if I want to play back with non Dolby?  Say I
> want to use DTS?  That’s one of the disadvantages of using digital
> downloadable content, you don’t get the alternate sound encoding or do you?
> I’ve not seen it ever mentioned.  I prefer the sound of DTS not sure if
> others agree.
>
>> On Feb 5, 2016, at 3:34 AM, Sabahattin Gucukoglu <listse...@me.com> wrote:
>>
>> It is interesting reading, yeah.  Thanks for sharing.
>>
>> I don’t have 5.1 myself, but this article seems a bit misleading when it
>> says, for instance, that DVD playback using DVD player or iTunes Store
>> movies don’t support 5.1.  Of course both do, but you need a software
>> decoder, such as that in VLC, to get surround from this analog setup.
>> Apple’s software uses Dolby Digital (AC3) passthrough, when it’s available.
>> So, in other words, you can still enjoy 5.1 with your home theatre, just in
>> more limited ways.
>>
>> This page, and the one to which it is linked, is full of fascinating
>> insights:
>> http://www.dr-lex.be/software/surround_osx.html

>> Visionaries list.

>> Your Mac Visionaries list moderator is Mark Taylor and your owner is Cara

>> ---

> list.

> ---

list.