You need to set up the folder alert system on your download folder in Finder.

You can probably find this yourself by investigating by bringing up the context menu on your downloads folder in Finder. I did do a podcast on this last year but I will have to look for it if it is not on Apple Vis.

There are some downsides to using folder alerts but on balance I think the benefits outweigh the problems.

The main problem is that
1. The folder alert will come up as soon as the download starts as it recognise that a temporary download file has been placed in your download folder. 2. The folder alert dialogue will come up again when the download is completed.
This means that you will get two notifications for each download.

The other problem is that the window that comes up offrering you the ottion to look at the new file in your downloads folder is not automatically announced by Voiceover though if you have some sight it is apparently very visible. However even though I have no useful sight I do not find this a problem in use.

1. When the download starts you will expect the download alert to come up. Using any Voiceover reading key will read the dialogue and reveal what it is. I then get on with something else. As soon as my Voiceover reading is interrupted in whatever I am doing I will realise that almost certainly it is the folder alert notice telling me that a file has arrived in the download folder. Again naviggating with voiceover will read the dialogue perfectly well.

If you do nothing the folder alert notice will go away of its own accord after a few seconds.

David Griffith