This is Taken directly from the VoiceOver Getting Started Guide:
Log in to an encrypted account without VoiceOver

If you turn on FileVault, you must log in to your account whenever your Mac is
restarted or wakes from sleep. VoiceOver isn’t available in the FileVault login
window. Depending on your computer, a series of beeps or OS X speech services
indicate where the cursor is positioned in the login window.

After your Mac awakes or starts, determine if the FileVault login window is
displayed by pressing Command-F5.

If you hear a single beep, the cursor is positioned in the Name field and you
can begin logging in. Continue to step 2.

If you don’t hear a single beep, the FileVault login window might not be
displayed yet. Wait a minute, then press Command-F5 again. If you still don’t
hear a beep, there may be a problem with encryption. Turn off your Mac, then
turn it on again. An unencrypted login process will begin during which
VoiceOver is available.

Type your account name, then press Return.

If you hear a double beep, you entered a valid account name. Continue to step 3.

If you hear a single beep, you entered an invalid account name and the cursor
remains in the Name field. Keep entering your account name until you hear a
double beep.

Type your account password, then press Return.

If you hear three beeps, you entered a valid password and login proceeds.

If you hear a double beep, you entered an invalid password and the cursor
remains in the Password field. Keep entering your password until you hear three
beeps.

Source:
http://help.apple.com/voiceover/info/guide/10.11/#/vo36047

I hope this helps,
Jeffrey
> On Mar 8, 2016, at 9:06 AM, Jessica Moss <junglebookfa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I just upgraded last Thursday and everything was working fine until I shut
> the computer down for the night.
>  Now whenever I start it back it either beeps at me when I try to figure out
> what it's doing because it won't talk, or it goes into password recovery mode
> and no matter what I do it refuses to log me in.  Has anyone ever run into
> this?
>
> Sent from my iPhone

> list.

> ---