I wouldn't risk doing this if I were you for the simple reason, one
the casing has been tampered with, unless one knows what they're
doing, the Mac Mini would be hard to put back together again.  If it
shuts down, chances are, it's a safety feature, although it shouldn't;
Mac Minis run fairly warm with heavy use, but there is a safety
mechanism built into them which prevents overheating.  I don't know
about older Mac Minis, but the newer ones have that feature.  Richie
Gardenhire, Anchorage, Alaska.