Chris, this was absolutely fantastic, thank you.

I’m glad protools is accessible.  I remember when it came out years and years
ago, it was digidesign then.  I’m also surprised it’s only $700.  I know that
sounds nuts but keep in mind, the gear I learned on cost $750,000 (seven
hundred and fifty thousand) for folks with improper numerical decoders.  When
you added the mixing console you were way over a million.  What did you get for
a million?  You got 96 megabytes of memory (unheard of at the time), 32 track
direct to disk recorder, 96 poly voices, 200 track sequencer, worm drive, tape
drive, mac computer and several large flight cases.:)  The mixer was an SSL
6000E hand built in the UK if memory serves with pluggable modules and complete
automation including flying faders.
        If you actually want to hear audio from the configuration I worked on
listen to any Star Trek next generation episode or X Files episode.  Also, the
most closely matched example you can hear is Frank Zappa’s Jazz from Hell.

So the idea I can have all the power you mention for the price of a decent
computer and $700 is shocking to an old guy like me.

What about outboard hardware?  Do you use any special digital to audio
convertors?  What about a mixing surface?

Thanks for such a detailed response, I think I need to give protools a shot.

list.