From: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com [mailto:macvisionaries@googlegroups.com]
On Behalf Of M. Taylor
Sent: Thursday, 9 June 2016 7:28 AM
To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
Subject: Some Info on The PayPal PrePaid Mastercard App for iOS

Hello Everyone,

I am cross-posting this to let you know that the PayPal Prepaid Mastercard App
for iOS is more than reasonably VoiceOver accessible.  There are two VoiceOver
bugs that are immediately obvious.

1.
The primary menu button, located in the upper left corner of the display, is
not labeled; it just reads as, "button."

2.
It is sometimes necessary to perform a single-finger, double-tap and hold
gesture in order to activate items labeled as links.

Other than these two items, all of the information one needs, in order to
conveniently manage the card account, is accessible.

I have submitted a bug report to the developer and, hopefully, these bugs will
be addressed in future releases.

Please note that I am referring only to the PayPal Prepaid Mastercard and not
to the PayPal Debit card.

Just in case some are wondering, the PayPal Prepaid Mastercard is a secured
debit card.  This is to say, one must load money onto the card, either online
or at a local market, such as 7 Eleven in order to use it.

There are several reasons for using such a card.  Some use these kinds of cards
because they either have no established credit line or bank account or have a
very bad credit history which prevents them from obtaining a traditional
revolving credit card account.  It should be noted, however, that prepaid cards
will not, unless explicitly stated in the terms of use
agreement, help either establish or improve one's credit score.

Another reason, which is why I have one, is because one does not want to give
an untrusted vendor access to a revolving credit line or bank account, such as
would be the case if one were to use a standard debit or credit card.

As a scenario as to why one may consider using a prepaid card, and this has
happened to me in the distant past, a vendor was only supposed to charge me a
fee, once.  However, the vendor began billing me monthly.  While I eventually
received a refund for the unauthorized charges, I had to both file a credit
dispute and cancel the account.  The real inconvenience came when I found
myself having to update several trusted online vendors with the new credit card
number.

Remember, a prepaid card can only be charged up to the amount loaded on the
account.

So, in the above scenario, assuming that I had funded the card only up to the
amount that I was to pay the vendor, subsequent billing attempts would have
been denied.  Assuming that I had received notifications of the failed
attempts, I could have investigated the problem, before money was taken.
Even in the event that subsequent unauthorized charges had gone through,
however, I could have cancelled the card without having to update all of my
online accounts, assuming that I had not used the prepaid card for them.

You should know that while there are no interest charges associated with
prepaid cards, there are, however, associated fees that, depending on the brand
of the card, can make using the card unreasonably expensive.

The prepaid card market has exploded in recent years; so much so that even
major banks such as Chase are offering such accounts.

If you are considering a prepaid card, be sure to shop around and make certain
that you thoroughly understand the fees associated with using the card.

Just so there is no confusion, I am, in no way, promoting/recommending prepaids
cards to anyone.  I am merely providing feedback on the current VoiceOver
accessibility of the PayPal Prepaid Mastercard App, for iOS and describing a
scenario in which the outcome would have been different if such an instrument
had been used.

Mark

list.

list.