Hi Hank,
What are the things that you want to do with your mat? What prompted you to
purchase the Mac in the first place? What are you dissatisfied with regarding
windows? I think all of those things which depend on you are the real questions
that need answering regarding whether a Mac is a better choice for you than
windows. Regarding iTunes, I have not used it with windows ever. I know there
are folks who do use it with windows. I have a friend who has windows and never
used a Mac, and he hates iTunes with a passion. I have used iTunes on the Mac.
It seems usable, but iTunes is certainly not my favorite program either. I
think, depending on your answers to the questions at the start of this message,
it may well be a good thing for you to turn your Mac back in and just keep on
using windows. You could of course run Windows on your Mac. But why? I bought a
Mac many years ago when snow leopard was the current version of OS X. I now
have a different Mac mini. Honestly, if I had it to do again, I am not sure
that I would buy a Mac. Progress has not been what I had hoped it would be on
the Mac with respect to things like reading PDF files and scanning large
volumes  of material and embossing braille, all of which I still do on windows.
On the other hand, I have a very large library in iTunes on my Mac that I
ripped from CDs, most of which are now gone. I have stereos with airport
expresses and an Apple TV and airplay. So in that regard, I guess I'm stuck in
the Mac ecosystem. But if I had it to do again, I'm not sure I would have gone
that route. So, again, why did you buy a Mac? What do you want to get out of
the Mac? And what don't you like about windows?

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 26, 2016, at 6:17 PM, Arnold Schmidt <arno...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> Please forgive the long message to follow.  Just delete it if you don't want
> to read it.
>
> I have been messing around with my new Mac Mini over the weekend.  I have the
> two books, Everything You Need To Know To Use The Mac With El Capitan And
> Voice Over, by Janet Ingber, and Mastering The Macintosh With Voice Over, by
> Tim Sniffen.I thoroughly expected not to know what I am doing for a while, at
> the moment, that is an understatement.  I have it set up, thanks to Mr.
> Sniffen's book, Ms. Ingber seems to assume one will have sighted help to do
> that.  I have been with windows since 2000, and Jaws 3.5.  I still have Jaws,
> having bought, last December,  the SMA through version 19.  I have to figure
> out, by July 5, whether I want to take the Mac back to the Apple store to get
> my money back.  So far, it seems like a bunch of incredible tedium to get
> things done, as compared to Windows.  The track pad helps, it makes it a
> little more like my iPhone 6, that I love.  Getting things done on the iPhone
> never seemed to have nearly the tedium as does the Mac,even when my iPhone 5
> was new to me.   For example, having to interact with things, rather than
> just hitting enter when I want to do something, or press two or three keys at
> the same time to get VoiceOver to do something, I have no doubt that I can
> learn it, but   My nagging question during my 14 days is going to be:  why?
> What is so much better about this than Windows?  Is the Mac really better, or
> just different?  Is, for example, iTunes really easier to use?  What little I
> have investigated, I am not yet convinced that it is. Already having Jaws, I
> don't have the issue of having to buy a windows screen reader, and NVDA is
> making it unnecessary even for a new Windows user to do so.   I paid over 50
> percent more for this Mac Mini than I could have bought a Windows 10
> computer.  I wish I had 30 days, rather than 14,  to figure this out.    The
> time is ticking. What is so much better about this than Windows, which I
> already know how to use?
>
> Arnold Schmidt
> list.

> ---