Seems like there ought to be a better solution. So we still need the DVI
to VGA adapter and then need to trigger the sense pins on the VGA
adapter to make it think there is a monitor. Apparently this site has
instructions to make your own:

http://tvtool.info/go.htm?http://tvtool.info/english/dummy_e.htm

which basically says to get 3 75ohm resistors and use them to connect
pins 3 to 8, 2 to 7 and 1 to 6. If you have a VGA connector facing you
with the wide edge up the pins are numbered left to right 5 4 3 2 1 on
the top row, 10 9 8 7 6 in the next and 15 14 13 12 11 on the bottom
row. One site suggested that you could just shove the wire ends of the
resistors into the holes to make them work. Apparently the headless
bootup problem is also prevalent for those trying to use Macs as servers
and for Windows folks trying to use just the video (not VGA) our of
their machine for media centers.

Here is another site with better text descriptions of the pinouts:

http://soerennielsen.dk/mod/VGAdummy/index_en.php

So I hunted around for what is essentially a VGA terminator and they do
make them, so if you're not up for soldering or pushing wires into pins
here are a few places:

$15
http://www.garrett-smarthome.com/proddetail.php?prod=MS8000TP

$22
http://www.cables4computer.com/Cabling_Products/VGA-Terminator_Connectors_VGA_Terminator.html

$25
http://www.altinexsuperstore.com/p-489-ms8000tp-vga-15-pin-hd-termination-plug.aspx

$34
http://www.thenerds.net/SP_CONTROLS.SP_Controls_VGA_Terminator_Catlinc_VGA_L.CATLINCTERM.html?affid=8&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=CATLINCTERM%5E~%5ESP%20CONTROLS

If you don't make one yourself you quickly approach the cost of an
actual display by the time it's all said and done. I wonder if there is
such a thing as a DVI terminator so the Apple DIV to VGA adapter
wouldn't be needed.

CB