From: Donna Smith [mailto:donnafsmit...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, December 04, 2009 10:23 PM
To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
Subject: Introduction and Newby Questions

Hi all.

I am a long-time, frustrated Windows/Microsoft Office/JAWS user, and I have
recently become very intrigued with the possibility of switching to a Mac,
at least for personal use.  My work duties are too tied to being able to
share files with colleagues in PowerPoint, Excel and Word, and we're
required to use Outlook calendar, etc., but personal use is a different
story.

So please tell me if I understand correctly that an off-the-shelf Mac laptop
will be accessible via Voice Over for most typical functions? I need the
internet, e-mail, some kind of word processor, and I'm a farily big user of
Excel and am not sure what the comparable Mac program might be.  I
understand that there is a learning curve to make such a switch, but is it
possible to do this without purchasing another type of third-part screen
reading software?  I am so sick of JAWS!

This all started when I was looking at iPhones.  I am very excited at the
prospect of having a functional, accessible iPhone and the descriptions I've
read that allow you to move through information via the touch screen, thus
getting a real sens of page layout, has really sparked my interest.  Do I
understande correctly that laptops also have some kind of touch pad mouse
that allows this same kind of interaction with information on the screen so
that it's not always necessary to arrow up and down endlessly through
massive amounts of web site jumble?

I should add that though I've been using computers for about 20 years now, I
am no programmer or technician.  I am a functional user who has reluctantly
had to learn more than I ever wanted to know about computer set-up and the
inter-workings of various software out of necessity.  So don't get too
technical on me. <smile>  Keep it simple!

Thanks much for allowing me to join and I promise not to interfere with the
flow of techie talk too much with irritating newby questions.

Donna