Another possibility , if you need to work in Word documents natively, is iTest
Pro. You can get it in the Mac app store.
Frank

-----Original Message-----
From: 'Jason White' via MacVisionaries [mailto:macvisionaries@googlegroups.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 8:45 PM
To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Using MS Word and Excel on the Mac

Larry Thacker Jr. <larry.thacker...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You do get some of the navigation that’s more familiar, but I have
> had a very annoying problem with losing Voiceover focus when going from page
> to page and especially after performing some function that required going to
> the ribbon.

I've experienced this in Microsoft Word 2016 for Mac. When moving to a new
page, sometimes focus jumps to the start of the current page instead of
continuing to the next page. I've encountered other annoying focus issues as
well.

However, I haven't tested the latest update to find out what improvements have
been made.

Also, there's no way that I know of to find out the style of the current
paragraph. Comments and change tracking are awkward to use, at best.

I don't normally use a word processor to write or edit documents; instead, I
write in a text editor, which can be done just as easily regardless of
operating system.

However, when I do need to deal with MS-Word documents - especially with
comments, change tracking, styles etc. (as is usually the situation at the
moment), it's best done on a Microsoft Windows machine. Microsoft applications
are most accessible in their home environment, as one might say. The keyboard
commands are also very useful, including those associated with the ribbon
under Windows.

The Windows 10 machine at work is fairly stable at the moment, so I can work
on it productively. How long this stability will last remains to be seen, of
course.

I really notice the lack of keyboard shortcuts on both Mac and GNOME compared
with Microsoft Windows; but if you want keyboard commands that let you work
very efficiently, then text-mode Linux still wins that contest, with Emacs or
Vim as text editors. I still have a lot to learn about the PowerShell command
line interface under Windows. Mac and Linux share the same command line shell
and have similar utilities.

If you truly need many of the features of Microsoft Word and Excel, I think
you're best on Windows for now, but you might be able to run it in a virtual
machine on a Mac. If you don't need all of those features, then perhaps Pages
and Numbers will meet your needs.

list.

list.